Monday, June 23, 2003

It takes a line around the building to piss me off coming into work: Sen. Clinton is signing "her" book this morning at the Borders which is in the lobby of my otherwise noble office building (restored19th century 20-story - right next to what used to be Wanamaker's). Anyway, at 7:50 a.m., the line to get in the front door was already wrapped around the building, and I estimate it to be at least three hundred people long. I've never stood in line to meet anyone that wasn't just married in front of me. I don't get what the "thrill" is of having an "author" make 1/3 of a second of eye contact, scribble his/her name down with the fourth Sharpie of the day, and then move me off to the part where the guy shoots me in the head with the bolt gun. Is this something you take the day off from work for? To stand in a line --- to buy a political memoir?? Anyway, Hillary is doing something right with this book signing. It's campaigning except she gets paid to do it. Now, will she win new support by this? No, because those who are waiting around for her are already slobbering fans, but this will keep her face in the newspapers for weeks to come, even after the initial round of talk shows and "exclusive" interviews fade away. I guess my point, if there must be one, is that I'm somewhat amazed by her drawing power. I just never figured it.

No comments: