Thursday, June 19, 2003

Moving Right Along: Where I live, it's a pretty steep descent down the radio dial. There's one classical/NPR station, one eclectica/world/roots station (good for the occasional Dan Hicks cut), and after that it's classic rock or smooth something or other (which I'll actually listen to if hear a note of Foghat, Boston, BTO, etc., on the rock station). There's AM talk, of course. Great. Shoot me. No, shoot them.

So too many pledge drives, stupid world music songs, and Celine Dion-esque singers had me riding the classic rock station long enough to hear Led Zeppelin (which length of time is called a "bonham" and is equal to exactly 7 minutes and 24 seconds). I had listened to their songs most of my life, enjoyed them, and still listened to some of the fun stuff. "Hot Dog" has always been a favorite, for example, and I have a soft spot for a bunch of whiteys from Blighty trying desperately to do funk on "The Crunge." Anyway, I had a realization: I have never, ever, enjoyed Jimmy Page's lead guitar. He plays like he's drunk.

Just had to get this out.

No comments: