Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Impossible?: So my thoughts last night about Lance Armstrong got me thinking. Could you design a formula of sorts that would accurately compare the difficulty of winning the defining championship of any sport. Is the Super Bowl more difficult to win than the World Series? Is Wimbledon a greater feat than the Masters? How can individual achievements, like the Tour de France, be compared to a team event? Is it possible? Somehow, I think it is. Is it important? Of course not. But what factors would need to be included in the analysis? Physical demand, mental toughness, length of season, likelihood of injury, strenth of competition. Do dynasties in a given sport make the case that it's easier to win or harder? All questions puzzling me this evening. I'd like to know if anyone has attempted this feat. Let you know if I find anything.

No comments: