Monday, January 26, 2004

Tennis, mate: Funny Eno gives me credit for predicting Raymond's success. Yes, she's a home-town girl (she resides in Wayne, Pa. which is a stones-throw from the Razor manse, and on my train route every day into the city), but I don't think I'd have picked her at tourney's outset to make it to the quarters. As Eno points out, she's more of a doubles ace (although she and Martina [or her cyborg replica] got knocked out in Round 2), and her singles game relies more on subtlety - which sorta went out the window when the Williamses showed up.

That said, I was watching Venus play Round 2 and I said to my father, "You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Venus is out after Round 3." True story (I also said: "You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Howard Dean starts to really show his innate political animal and just sweeps the primaries.") I think the Williamses are losing their drive for the game; they've already expressed consistent desire to get out of tennis and move into fashion, cinema, business. I'm fairly certain their father has declared that one or both will be President one day (and not of the WTA). So, Venus sees a field of nothing but has-beens, also-rans, and some Belgiums and thinks: "Hmm, I could be back in Florida designing some dresses to wear to the Oscars. So just make it a couple of rounds to make Reebok happy, re-coup my airline tickets, and I'm outta here. Hey, it's only the Australian Open." I like Clijsters vs. Justine (grudge match for U.S. Open [which I saw in person and let me tell you, Kim doesn't get better looking the closer you get]), but if Lisa can make it, you're on for the bet.

I like your mens' picks, but I'm not ready to call it quits for Andre yet.

No comments: