Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Now you're getting personal: I don't think Faulkner's logorrhea is an appropriate subject to bring up in discussing his literature. Can't the man suffer in private? I expected more from you than tabloid journalism. As for the rest of your entry, your point is entirely valid, and maybe it's the beginning of the end for serious, artful literature, where simplicity is indeed divine. I don't dispute that these guys seem to just spout off for its own sake. But, while Dickens wasn't self-referential in his prose, he certainly wrote more words than were needed to drive home his point. Joyce wrote a book in near-gibberish, which all the pointy heads look to as one of the crowning achievements in the written word. And, John Milton's "poem", Paradise Lost didn't even rhyme!!! So, I think you need to think long and hard before going after my boy, DFW (how I wish we could footnote on this blog).

No comments: