Monday, May 12, 2003

Next, no beer either: Well, we knew this was coming, it was just a matter of degree. Bars/restaurants in NYC are reporting up to 50% loss in business since the cigarette ban went into effect. Penn & Teller's excellent show on Showtime, "Bullsh*t" exposes the truth on such far-ranging issues such as Ouija Boards to communicating with the dead, to the supposed harmful effects of second-hand smoke. They hit this issue from every angle and their conclusion? The long-and-short of it is that the no-smoke zealots have gotten their way with us. Disclosure: I only smoke at bars, after a couple of beers, and usually only when I can bum a few off of people (something Enobarbus would know nothing about). So, I only care about smoking at bars, because elsewhere, I don't do it. Therefore, I'm particularly discriminated against. Anyway, the Penn & Teller show does this much more justice than I, but in the end, all NYC has succeeded in doing is killing the golden goose, with little to nothing to show for it.

No comments: