Tuesday, June 22, 2004

A Question from Left Field: What the hell happened to the days when coffee was a flavor? And a good flavor, I always thought. No, these days weak coffee is a delivery vehicle for indistinguishable and artificial rasberry-hazelnut-mocha-Irish cream-vanilla flavoring compounds (all of which were manufactured, from petroleum by products no doubt, in a plant down the street from me in New Jersey when I was younger; you'd drive into town and be hit by a gigantic wave of nauseatingly ersatz butterscotch essence). At the very least, a "regular" joe has a half cup of cream and a pound of sugar in it. Even the coffee from the $4/cup joints is a weak, watery mess.

If I hear one more person say, "I like coffee, but I don't like it bitter," I'm going to snap. Coffee is a bitter beverage, godammit. If you don't like it, don't drink it. Go drink some of that foolish chai crap.

No comments: