Monday, June 07, 2004

Meanwhile: On the distaff side, I was delighted to see a new face among slam winners. Anastasia Mysinka may be a real contender or a flash in the pan, but the Williams, Williams, Davenport, Capriati domination that was so real a couple of years ago is now under fire from more than just the Belgian duo.

I was so surprised that Dementieva made it to the final, I began to regret my prediction that she would fold up like a cheap lawn chair. Of course, she did in the end -- 1-6, 2-6 (red-6, blue-6). A top-ten seed offering only token resistence to a roughly equally matched opponent is pretty embarrassing.

On the men's side, your guess is as good as mine. I expected Coria to streak by the unknown Gaudio. The rule stands, though: take the guy with the most vowels.

No comments: