Wednesday, April 14, 2004

More Speaking: I think Fred Barnes is right on the substance.
Bush left nothing to chance. Many viewers were unlikely to hang around for the full 62 minutes of the press conference. So he delivered his message right at the top and without interference from the reporters. We're not changing course in Iraq, he said. We're hanging in there. It was a message that no viewer could have missed and one that reporters have heard too often.
As I said, I didn't see him, so I can't really comment on the form. I'll leave that to you. Mr. Balko notwithstanding, though, I think America is used to Dubya English; in other words, I don't think it's as big a deal as the commentariat makes it out to be. If anything, it makes him colorful. Believe it or not, it will be a net plus against Kerry, who is typically required to wake his audiences up for applause lines.

No comments: