Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Ahhh, the liberal arts: My alma mater, Bucknell University, in a stunning show of chutzpah, has quashed an invite one of the student GOP organizations gave to Pat Toomey, who is running to un-seat Arlen Specter in the race for a PA seat in the U.S. Senate, on the grounds, according to Bucknell's general counsel, that it doesn't allow for election-year stump-speeches on school property.

I applaud this strong stand against political cynicism, and think Bucknell made the right call in not sullying the academic world with the dirty politics that will no doubt creep into the "Bubble" along with Mr. Toomey and his polemics.

In fact, I intend to personally praise Bucknell's administration when I go up there for commencement this year. I will probably do it right after Ralph Nader's address to the graduating class.

No comments: