Thursday, September 02, 2004

"That's not bread, it's crap": Ralph Bennett reports that Interstate Bakeries, makers of Wonder Bread and Twinkies is in dire straits, vicitms of the low carb craze. His reminiscence of Wonder Bread in youth is amusing, how it could be folded up and tucked into a pocket without crumbling while on adolescent adventures are probably very common for several generations of Americans. I didn't get much Wonder Bread as a kid, as my mother baked it fresh, something for which I'm grateful, but I remember going to my cousins' house in New Hampshire in the summer and making sandwiches to take to the beach. Wonder Bread it was, with PB&J, or Fluff, if you preferred, although my mother didn't approve of marshmellow for lunch.

I hope Interstate can survive the Atkins fad, and maybe one day "riboflavin, niacin, and iron" will be the diet of the day. After all, it's not the greatest bread in the world, but it still has a place for packing a lunch for kids to take with them, wherever they go.

No comments: