Tuesday, July 01, 2003

On that note: As someone who occasionally tries to read a bike as fast as possible for dozens of minutes at a time, I have to say that what Lance Armstrong has accomplished over the last four years is astounding. I'm not sure I can compare it to anything else in sports history (horseracing's triple crown, maybe?). He enters this year's Tour de France seeking his fifth title in a row. There is no more difficult event to win year after year, certainly not an individual sport. His cancer story has been well publicized, but it's compelling at all times. The fact that bike racing is one of the most unwatchable sports imaginable shouldn't detract from the excitement of the event. Oddly, many of my more serious riding friends don't care for Lance. Maybe every story gets old and every champion needs to be dethroned. But I'll be pulling for Armstrong.

No comments: