Monday, March 03, 2003

The Neighborhood: Whatever gentlemanly qualities I may have today, I owe to Fred Rogers. You're right that it wasn't as snazzy as other shows, didn't rely on quick-cutting to hold our attention. But it was sound stuff. He articulated a lot of what became my core values: conflict resolution, self-reliance, and self-esteem based on accomplishment (even if it was just tying your shoes) rather than social grouping or victimhood, but coupled with a message of fundamental human worth. For a while I had to deal with a certain amount of the sissy complex (be honest, now; everyone went through a time when they associated Mr. Rogers with sissyhood) but I'd rather have my son watch Mr. Rogers than anything else on TV, particularly the politically motivated crap about Kwanzaa, the environmentalist American Indians, self-esteem based on nada, and rights uncoupled from responsibilities.

No comments: