Thursday, March 20, 2003

Moving Along: The buildup to war has been a fascinating political show, sort of a dance of secret, prearranged steps. I'm sure there will be much more to comment upon as war progresses, but I'm trying to avoid mission creep, and the military stuff is not my forte. I'm sure the Razor will be more informative on that end when he returns from his undisclosed location. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on the war, but other stuff contines to come up. Like this. One thing we haven't discussed here is what I see as a potentially suicidal attempt by the Democrats to tie up nearly all the Bush judicial nominees. Look, I don't mind partisanship, and it's at least refreshing to see the Dems roll out some kind of strategy. But the Dems have spent the last 10 years trying to convince the public that gridlock and partisanship are major no-nos. (As I said, I like partisanship. And gridlock is designed into the American system, and for good reason.) Perhaps they think the GOP is too inept to call them on obstructionism and sell it to the public. And they may be right; so far Bush's 2004 strategy seems to be focused on winning the war, with token attention to a domestic message. He would do well to remember his father's fate.

No comments: