Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Chabon, chabon: "Wonder Boys" was very good. One of my favorite Michael Douglas performances because he wasn't playing the jilted lover or the ego-driven millionaire. Quirky, conflicted, funny. Shows what you can do when you try. I've only read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay" by Chabon, although "Wonder Boys" is on my list - I'm doing some cyber-punk now with Gibson. TAAOKAK was a very stirring book, with some real ambition behind it. I found it a bit longer than I wanted, but he can turn a phrase, and without so much posturing as Franzen or, god-forbid, Wallace (probably because Chabon doesn't wear the "Kiss Me, I'm a Post-Modernist." button all the time). So, I can recommend the book without hesitation, as it has a little of something for everyone. Speaking of everyone, Chabon also has written for children, with "Summerland" (wasn't that a King's X tune?).

No comments: