Monday, March 17, 2003

Dixie Dregs: [With apologies to the fine hillbilly-jazz combo of the same name.] I have to admit, I'm not really one for protests, boycotts, and the like, but I can't help smiling at how this story is playing out. Natalie Maines, singer for the country-pop Dixie Chicks, and a Texan, said last week, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." Fine. A statement of principle. See post below. But when her fans began to dump Dixie Chicks CDs into the hopper and radio stations reacted to protests by dropping the Chicks off the playlist, Maines's "principles" were laid bare. "As a concerned American citizen," she said, "I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect." So it is, as the Razor would say, all about the Benjamins. She's against the war, except when it hits her in the demographic, in the pocketbook.

No comments: