Monday, June 09, 2003

Movie Minute: I saw "Fellowship of the Ring" last night. I liked it. I'm not a Tolkien fan or anything, so there was nothing to be spoiled, really. One question though: Three hours for what amounts to an introduction? In the mythopoetic view (which this stuff cries for), we spend three hours on the call to adventure. At the end of the film, the hero stands at the threshhold to Mordor (death, the underworld, the enemy's lair, whatever). Sure, there was plenty of action, and some smaller story arcs and resolutions, but I felt like I was watching a sleeping bag being stuffed into a sock. A lot of details (albeit beautiful details) seemed perfunctory; it seemed absolutely packed with visual storytelling, but not to any particular effect other than confusion. I'm being too hard on it, I know. I liked it a lot, in fact. But it left me short of breath -- War and Peace crammed into an infomercial.

No comments: