Tuesday, December 10, 2002

"I'm sorry for what happened": These words invoke a classic non-apology-apology. Note the similarities to Trent Lott: "A poor choice of words conveyed to some the impression that I embraced the discarded policies of the past," Lott said. "Nothing could be further from the truth, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by my statement." How about: "I apologize."? Does it matter if anyone was offended? Shouldn't it matter what was said was inane and possibly intentionally racist? Gore is certainly taking that position. Not that this surprises anyone, but he is perfectly aligned with Sharpton and Jackson, two other irrelevant blowhards. I can give Lott the benefit of the doubt that he said things badly, but his long record of southern pride" speaks otherwise.

No comments: