Thursday, December 12, 2002

Feeling old is state of mind...you whippersnapper: Radley is firmly ensconced in the just-to-the-left-of-mainstream-"alternative" radio category. I applaud his choices of The Doves, Coldplay and Wilco (although I confess, I'm not sure what all the hype was about). Ryan Adams has an unfortunate name, when coupled with his music, doesn't do much to distinguish himself from a crooner popular some 15 years ago. I don't know Kweller or Workman. As for the "I am Sam" soundtrack it is indeed a good pick. Beatles songs, when done well, always inspire. Given his choices, I'm surprised he didn't pick John Mayer. It's probably because he's being embraced a bit too snugly by the radios, but this guy's songs are pretty listenable. I'm waiting for this group's newest, which is being worked on as we speak. These guys sort of combine the quirkyness and inventiveness of Radiohead and the pathos and inflection of Coldplay (to use the inevitable comparisons). They're super top!

No comments: