Monday, March 08, 2004

Score: Heheh...I was a 17. Part of the problem (as with any quiz) is the way the questions are worded. These were particularly black-and-white, which makes sense given the slant. My score just barely puts me in the "soft-core" arena. I can tell you towards the end, I answered "no" to just about everything ("Cut this in half, cut that in half"). Kind of absurd.

Things like free speech are easy (well, for me at least). I even was for vouchers because I find efficiency and competition in schooling the only way to solve the problem (as opposed to more money). But privatising money, courts, military, fire, etc. I find too disencfranchising and likely more complicated than the system we already have. Just loook at one service that we pay for privately - insurance. Now car insurance works pretty well - factors like where you live, the car you drive, and your record add up to a premium. Then look at health insurance - fiasco for all involved. Oh, and throw in all those who can't afford insurance.

Now, picture privatizing the police department. Picture the most stereo-typical inner city block you want. Now imagine those people don't or can't purchase private police because, gee, their premiums would be sky-high. If the state doesn't do it, no one will.

I suppose you could make the argument for privatized fire service (the banks or landlords would blend the fees into mortgages or rent), but too much of the quiz was really unrealistic in my opinion - but I suppose that's why you can score in the 60-100 range and still be only medium- to high- as opposed to absolutely devoted to the cause.

No comments: