Monday, October 20, 2003

Meathead, moi: Since I never have become a fan of TMQ or Easterbrook, though I recognize his knowledge and considerable talent, I guess I fall squarely in the meathead ranks, at least when it comes to sports. Which is fine with me. They can stick Easterbrook virtually anywhere and I won't notice. I never read him on ESPN, but that's mainly because I don't read about sports on the web unless I'm looking for something specific in order to post about it. I read my sports where you're supposed to, on the can. If ESPN had published Easterbrook in The Magazine, I might have read him more. Gues that won't be happening now.

That doesn't mean I agree with ESPN/Disney's actions. I read about this on Friday on Roger Simon's blog and was struck by the reaction by his readers. Gregg's comments were out of line, but I thought his style was always intentionally over the top, trying to tweak a few noses in every paragraph. Maybe I never got him, but I didn't think what he said was anti-Semitic. Careless, yes, but people reacted as though this were coming from some sober-sided CNN stuffed shirt. Some writers use shocking statements to get attention, then focus that attention on what they really care about. Gregg was using some harsh rhetoric to inspire a little criticism of the atrocious Kill Bill (see my next post), but many got stuck on the hook.

I'm sorry ESPN has taken the action they have, but this clearly comes from the top, that is to say Michael Eisner, who got personally skewered by Easterbrook. I don't think you can blame ESPN management, unless you expect a management walkout on the issue. Sorry, but TMQ wasn't that important.

No comments: