Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Okay, this may mean nothing: Doing a little checking on my NC senators' reaction to the Miers nomination, if only to do a little meaningless projection. First Senator Dole. Is there a marked difference between this

“I commend President Bush for the very deliberate way in which he arrived at the decision tonight to nominate Judge Roberts to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. Judge Roberts is an outstanding choice. His demonstrated intellect, experience, and integrity will serve him well on the Supreme Court. It is my hope that the Senate will move expeditiously and with civility through confirmation hearings to a final up or down vote on the Senate floor, as has been the tradition in this institution for more than 200 years. North Carolinians and the American people deserve no less.”
and this
“As the nomination process moves ahead, I look forward to reviewing Ms. Miers’ qualifications and her views on the proper role of the federal judiciary. I am hopeful that the confirmation process will be both fair and civil.”

Sounds like she is being at least very guarded on Miers, if not explicitly skeptical.

How about Richard Burr?

“I welcome President Bush’s nomination of Judge John Roberts for the Supreme Court. As his nomination moves forward, I remain hopeful that Judge Roberts will be treated with dignity and fairness, in the best of Senate traditions. I look forward to Judge Roberts’ confirmation hearing and his nomination receiving an up-or-down vote on the Senate floor.”
Vs.
“I welcome President Bush’s nomination of Harriet Miers to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. As the confirmation process begins, I will carefully review Ms. Miers’ qualifications and I look forward to meeting with her personally.

I am hopeful that she will receive a fair, honest hearing followed by an up-or-down vote on the Senate floor.”

Lickspittle, suck-up, apple polishing Bush apologist. Screw you.

Maybe that's a little strong.

No comments: