Monday, August 18, 2003

Sound of Freedom: Friendly wave to Brian Kieffer, one of the new kids over at the Agitator, who (I presume) got a peek at the Thunderbirds this weekend. Says Brian:
This is the weekend of Chicago's Air and Water Show, and this year's headliners are the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. I love that I live in a country where the average citizen will experience an F-16C Fighting Facon only as a form of entertainment.

I'm always reminded of the moment, a couple of years ago, when a boy standing near me complained to his father about the noise from the jets. The father smiled and replied, "Son, that's the sound of freedom."

The Blue Angels were here this weekend for an airshow, and I got to see them practicing on Friday. Heading North on the highway, and rounding a corner to a flat, straight stretch of road, I looked up and saw two of the bright blue F/A 18s, close enough together to appear to have linked wings, following the highway South directly toward me. Scared the shit outta me. Now imagine being the poor schmuck in Iraq or Afghanistan who has the misfortune of the very same view I got of the Hornet. Plus this.

No comments: