Monday, November 03, 2003

Citizen Zell: Flyer, in 2000 I might have taken such a strong Bush endorsement from Zell Miller as a threat to jump the aisle. But he's retiring after this term, and he's old enough that I doubt he still harbors any ambition greater than returning to his front porch and tick hounds. I don't even see a lower-tier cabinet seat for the guy at this point. My speculation? This is a half-and-half deal: He's doing it half out of conviction (I think he really supports Dubya) and half as a slap at the Dems for entirely abandoning the traditional Southern conservative who (like the Boston Democrats I spoke of earlier) is born with a (D) next to his name. Zell is one guy who never had to wonder why the Dems lost the South almost completely after LBJ. He already knew.

No comments: