Tuesday, January 28, 2003

What's My Song? I couldn't do much better than Bissel does at McSweeney's, taking on the Beatles. But I'll shake the tree and see what falls out here ... I'm going to go with "Blue" by Lucinda Williams, from 2001's astounding Essence. I post the lyrics out of metaphysical obligation:
Go find a jukebox and see what a quarter will do

I don't wanna talk, I just wanna go back to blue

Feeds me when I'm hungry and quenches my thirst

Loves me when I'm lonely and thinks of me first



Blue is the color of the night

When the red sun disappears from the sky

Raven feathers shiny and black

A touch of blue glistening down her back



We don't talk about heaven and we don't talk about hell

We've come to depend on one other so damn well

So go to confession, whatever gets you through

You can count your blessings, I'll just count on blue



Blue is the color of the night

When the red sun disappears from the sky

Raven feathers shiny and black

A touch of blue glistening down her back

The music is appropriately spare and haunting, too. Have a listen. There's little I can add to this. The lush color of the chorus, contrasted with the starkness and rawness of the verses: It's a good description of how attractive and comforting loneliness can be. Hmmm. I'm not very good at this, providing a verbal argument for a song.

Well, on the other hand, one "song" that never fails to move me beyond words is the "Credo" in Bach's B Minor mass, particularly the third small movement (the soprano/mezzo duet).

No comments: