Thursday, January 23, 2003

Movies: I watched Y Tu Mama Tambien this past weekend, and I have a question. Why is it that foreign sex-farce/coming-of-age movies are looked at with such benevolence, while America's versions of the same are thought of, generally, as trash? I thought Y Tu was familiar, predictable in its story, and puerile (not that it's a bad thing!) in its approach to sex. The voiceover was a nice touch, but not terribly original. The twist at the end is artificial, seeming almost borrowed, in my opinion, as if the writer wanted to suddenly make all his hijinks seem "deep," to turn a romp into an ironic bildungsroman. I won't say more, in case you've not seen it (and want to). But if you do see it, ask yourself: Is this movie bringing me more insight than, say, Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

No comments: