Wednesday, January 29, 2003

POTUS/SOTU: I didn't see it. I instead, wisely, went to see "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" which was excellent, if physically and emotionally draining after 3 hours. God, what a masterpiece of direction that movie is. Anyway, from what I've read about the SOTU, there was a noticeable change in his demeanor and delivery. This is what gives me hope about the Democrats for the 2004 run-off. Before he was president, everyone considered Bush to be an aimless ex-coke fiend who got by due to his dad's connections. Now we see a real steely resolve in what he does, and whether you agree with him or not, you are forced to respect his determination and ability to get things done. One hopes that one of the Dems will find their true voice in the campaign and then develop that should they win. The war issue will never be sold with what they're selling now. I'm not saying they won't go in, I'm just saying they don't have a compelling reason to do so. You can't give the inspectors a month and then say that you gave inspections a real chance. Basically, it would be nice to have proof the inspectors or our intelligence actually found something. Even though we could go toe-to-toe with Saddam, I think it would be better for all if we could hold something up as a compelling reason. I'm all for ridding the world of evil, but there's no more of a compelling reason to do it now as opposed to in 1991. Anyway, I'll have more to comment on when I read a bit more of the speech.

No comments: