Wednesday, November 27, 2002

Death by Taxes: I like the social science behind that Slate piece: take the sure deductions now over the possible future benefits. I don't agree with it, since I view this as a matter of principle rather than politics. I'm one of the people who would probably see little or no benefit from a flat tax. And part of the reason the GOP is realizing the flat tax is a hard sell is that people like me (middle class people who vote) want a tax system that is good for them, not one that is fair, efficient, or pro-growth. (Speaking of pro-growth, yesterday's WSJ has an editorial on the revenue boom in Russia - likely a result of a 13% flat tax.) This is exactly what Slate is getting at: The GOP has realized that they win on the simple tax relief message, not necessarily on the flat tax message.

No comments: