Monday, August 22, 2005

Thoughts on movies: John Cole had this post yesterday at his Balloon Juice blog about falling prices on home video technology. I mention it only because I went to a rare movie in the theater this weekend, and was disappointed as usual. Saw the new "thriller" from Wes Craven, Red Eye, an outstandingly craptacular flick with Rachel McAdams and Cillian Murphy. I would be glad to never see this movie, but it's perfectly suited to a rental. $4 and some popcorn, not a great waste if the movie blows. $20 plus for two to go to the theater ain't worth it anyomore unless I know I'm going to be entertained.

This year I've seen Star Wars, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, and the above mentioned Red Eye in the theater and only Star Wars was worth it. And that probably had less to do with the movie than with the release of 6 years of pent up anticipation. The girlfriend asked a good question after the movie Friday: How do these theaters stay in business? How? The place was packed? Why? Can't answer that one.

No comments: